The Residence Permit for Investment Activity (Golden Visa) is a special residence permit for foreigners obtained through investment activity in Portuguese territory. It was created by the Portuguese Government in August 2012, through Law no. 29/2012.
This mechanism allows foreign investors (nationals of non-EU Member States) and their families to apply for a residence permit by pursuing an investment activity complying with certain requirements.
For the purposes of obtaining a Golden Visa, it is necessary for investors to pursue an investment activity in Portugal, maintained for a minimum period of 5 years, in one of the following situations:
- Transfer of capital in an amount equal to or greater than EUR 1 million
- Creation of at least 10 jobs
- Acquisition of immovable property worth 500 thousand euros or more.
The acquisition of immovable property has been the purchase of real estate.
idPortugal provides all the support in the process of obtaining the Visa, as well as in the necessary investment process through the purchase of real estate (or other means of investment), as detailed in the section Real Estate.
Advantages of the Gold Visa
- It allows, in a much simpler way, to enter and remain in Portugal or in another European country
- It allows investors to establish residence in Portugal, creating links with the Portuguese territory and with the other countries in the Schengen Area
- Allows privileged access to territories with growing economies, which have good relations with Portugal
- Allows access to permanent residence permit
- Allows access to Portuguese nationality